Always Room for More!

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!

-Psalms 133:1

 

IMG_0265Last week, we took on a project to make some extra space for storage. You know how it is when you have all this stuff that you want to keep but just don’t know where to put it? You know, the stuff that can be passed down to the next generation, and you really want to save as much as is possible but the place to put it is….where? Well, for about two or three years now, most of our storage has been jammed into two or three rooms. Rooms that are so packed full that you can’t even open the door. Yeah, it was pretty bad!

We decidIMG_0144ed it was time to put an end to that problem! So as a team, we went out to one of our dog barns that we have that had been in its previous life, a chicken barn. Whew! It was a mess! I’m sure by the time we had finished with it, it had breathed a sigh of relief. That is, till it found out what it would now be doing! Besides two deep chest freezers and about four upright refridgerators, it also now hosts all the storage from all theIMG_0234 rooms previously mentioned. I could just hear the floor joists groaning! Not to mention the fact that it became a dual purpose barn. Not only is it storage, but it’s split side is now a whelping barn for our growing puppy breeding business. However, I am getting ahead of myself.

As a former chicken barn, it had accommodations for laying hens, the barn including three rooms for the purpose of raising hens. The innermost room was equipped with a broodIMG_0278er for raising the young chickens. From there they move to the slightly larger room with a small yard until they begin laying. After that, they are ingratiated with the large flock of laying hens and commence their first lessons on pecking order. Which by the way, can be rather severe!

So, the aforementioned brooder and all the egg IMG_0245nesting boxes had to be removed. After that, one of the walls had to be taken down and all the air vents we had left on the building had to be covered over. It took us about two days to get it all cleaned up and functional and we still aren’t quite finished but it’s much better than it was!